Click the link to read the full story about each place.
1. The Eagle and Child (Oxford, England).
Notable Patrons: J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis
Photograph by Irene Tong.
2. Vesuvio Cafe (San Francisco, US).
Notable Patrons: Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, Neal Cassady.
Photograph by Nicholas Kaeser.
3. White Horse Tavern (New York City, US).
Notable Patrons: Dylan Thomas, James Baldwin, Anais Nin, Norman Mailer.
Photograph by Katie Killary.
4. El Floridita (Havana, Cuba).
Notable Patron: Ernest Hemingway.
Photograph by Amy Goodman.
5. Cervecería Alemana (Madrid, Spain).
Notable Patron: Ernest Hemingway (you can’t be surprised by this, right?).
Photograph by Juan Antonio Flores Segal.
6. Carousel Bar at Hotel Monteleone (New Orleans, US).
Notable Patrons: Tennessee Williams, William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, Eudora Welty, Truman Capote.
Photograph by WeeklyDig.
7. Kennedy’s (Dublin, Ireland).
Notable Patrons: Samuel Beckett, James Joyce, Oscar Wilde.
8. Old Town Bar (New York City, US).
Notable Patrons: Frank McCourt, Seamus Heaney, Nick Hornby, Billy Collins, Pete Hamill.
Photograph by Joseph A.
9. Les Deux Magots (Paris, France).
Notable Patrons: Simone de Beauvoir, Jean-Paul Sartre, Albert Camus, Ernest Hemingway.
Photograph by Robyn Lee.
10. Red Key Tavern (Indianapolis, US).
Notable Patron: Kurt Vonnegut.
Photograph by Clark Maxwell.
11. Antico Caffe Greco (Rome, Italy).
Notable Patrons: John Keats, Charles Dickens, Henrik Ibsen, Hans Christian Andersen, Mary Shelley, Lord Byron, Maria Zambrano.
Photograph by Richard.
12. La Rotonde (Paris, France).
Notable Patrons: Gertrude Stein, T.S. Eliot, F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Photograph by David Harmantas.
Also: you can now follow BuzzFeed Books on Tumblr.