This is a place of shocking interior experiences.
Construction of the church of the Dominicans was started in 1267, and it must have been finished c. 1280. The church is a good example of the Mosan style of Gothicism.
Typical for this style are the basilican shape of the building, the use of marl, fake triforiums and the so-called Maaskapiteel (Maascapital), a piece of sculpture that formed the top of a column and was richly decorated with stylized leaves.
The church must have been richly decorated once, but of this very little is left. Only a few badly ages paintings on the ceilings remind of better days. In 1794 the French occupiers hunted the Dominicans out of the city, after which the church was used by a parish for several more years. But in 1805 the building became a warehouse, and most of the interior’s works of art moved to other churches. More recently the building was used as an archive and bicycle parking.
The Municipality of Maastricht restored the church and its many valuable frescos, including a 1337 mural depicting the life of Thomas Aquinas, to their former glory.
Today the Dominicans’ church is a book shop. Selexyz Dominicanen Book Shop, called by many “the most beautiful book shop in the world”, which also has a cultural function.
May 8, 2014
January 1, 2014